As many Network member agencies have reached out to extend their support to our colleagues at JCS South Florida, we are writing to share a brief update:
- A trauma specialist from JFS Houston is now on the ground in Surfside, to support the clinical team of JCS South Florida and to share the Houston community’s experiences of addressing the mental health implications of transitioning the survivors to emergency shelter.
- Support is also being provided by teams with mental health expertise from Israel, including a team from the Israel Defense Force.
- JCS South Florida has convened the multiple Jewish organizations that are working to provide crisis response and to support families. The spirit of collaboration is strong and is helping to mitigate the chaos still swirling about the site.
For those looking to help, there are two immediate requests:
- Gift cards, in any denomination, are needed to assist survivors with the ability to easily purchase clothing and other needed personal items. Please consider establishing a drive in your community and send cards (VISA, AMEX, Large Chain Box Stores, etc.) to JCS South Florida.
- There is a growing need for emergency financial assistance, including funds to support temporary housing and relocation expenses, as well as to support burial services. Toward this end, the Greater Miami Jewish Federation is working closely with JCS South Florida to support these needs and a dedicated mailbox for contributions has been established. Thank you for your help in circulating this appeal within your communities. 100% of all donations received will go directly to address the needs of the victims, with no administrative costs taken from the fund. The link to access the fund can be found here.
The Network will continue to keep you updated as this crisis situation continues to unfold. Thank you for your ongoing support and partnership.
Judy Halper, Board Chair
Reuben D. Rotman, President and CEO